Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Beginning Thoughts

People are affected by light. And they don't even know it.
If you had asked me four months ago how many different lighting looks were used during a regular church service, I would have thought about it and finally told you two.
Not true. There are several more that I had always responded to, but never noticed.
One Sunday I was standing in the tech booth right after the band had finished playing and the pastor was about to come up. The music was clearly over but everyone in the church remained standing. I then realized it was because the lights hadn't changed. I dutifully pushed the play button, the lights came up, and everyone sat down. The worshippers weren't thinking about the change; they automatically reacted.

My professor called this assignment a "Journal of Light."
It's how I am going to sensitize myself to this particle/wave and find out what I've been missing.It's how I'm going to notice when a lamp goes out or something onstage is flickering. And it's how I will investigate the role of light in how people live and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment